Blog Entry #2





                                                         Watch my Second Blog- Blog Entry #2

Hello everyone,  Welcome to my second blog entry, where I interview a close friend of mine Elizabeth who has experience learning English as her second language.  Both of Elizabeth parents are born in Mexico from two different places. Elizabeth gave us an explanation why Spanish was really her first language and even though her mother knew English, she still had her father that only understood Spanish.  That would make Elizabeth a simultaneous Bilingualism because she, “Had to speak Spanish to her father and English to her mother and older siblings” (Wright, 2015, P.5).  Elizabeth stated that the first time she really started to learn English was entering elementary school. Elizabeth remembered that it started with Pre-K learning the basic form of letter recognition and their sounds.  I asked her if it was difficult for her to learn a new language, she answered that it was about the same as learning any other language. Elizabeth explained that for her it was about the same, but  would get confused with both languages at times. This tends to happen, mostly to people that are yet, learning two languages at once. I personally have the same problem, because either I want to mix both languages at once. It is difficult when you know two languages at times because you can never be better in one language or the other. She also agrees that the best way she learned Spanish is by communicating with her peers and surround herself with family members that speak the native language. Media was her second source to learn her English. The best way that Elizabeth learned English is by her communicating with her teachers, and friends in school. That actually gave Elizabeth the best practice to improve her language and gain a bit more proficient over time. It seems like Elizabeth parents, wanted her to keep both of languages, “Encouraging ELL's to maintain and develop proficiency in English benefits the individual to his or her family, community” (Wright, 2015, P.23). This would allow Elizabeth to have both languages presented to her regularly throughout her life. As Elizabeth agrees that English is the main language that should be spoken, stating that being Bilingual can be very beneficial to the country.  She is certainly correct, “The United States needs bilingual citizens who can fulfill the myriad jobs in the government service, business and educators and educators sectors” (Wright, 2015, P.23). Being Bilingual in this country can open multiple doors of opportunity.

Comments

  1. Hello Luz

    After listening to you interview Elizabeth regarding being a second language learner; I believe that teachers and educators who work with English language learners must also understand the history, the current language and educational policies that affect their students and classroom (Wright, 2015, p. 68). Being taught in a classroom that teaches both in English and Spanish is beneficial which is how Elizabeth learned English as a second language. As the text points out, the way teachers and educators view their English language learners will reflect in the way they teach and organize their class (Wright, 2015, p. 2). Being taught in a two-way bilingual program is a perfect example of teaching students one culture without eliminating another. Being able to maintain your own culture, history and language while learning another is not easy. It is nice to see that Elizabeth had that balance through communicating with her father at home in Spanish, but also learning a second language through dual language at school.

    Wright, W.E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, Publishing. Second Edition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nicole,
      Thank you for taking a moment to watch my video. I agree with your comment because educators who have prior knowledge or have been in the same situation as the student they are able to relate the whole process of understanding the transitions. The teacher understands the accommodations that are needed for ELLs students and helps them achieve. Elizabeth educators understood Elizabeth backgrounds and helped her with translation to one language to another “ Teachers also need to know their students’’ cultural background and how culture influence learning at school” ( Wright, 2015, pg. 17). It is very important to understand your students that are learning both languages at an early age.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hola Luz!
    Hearing Elizabeth's process of language acquisition was interesting because it was different than most. One thing that really stuck out to me is the way her parents taught her language. I know most people who come to America really focus on getting their children to learn English because they feel that it will beneficial for their success. Elizabeth's parents, on the other hand, believed in nurturing her Spanish language development. I understand that you believe she was a simultaneous bilingual learner, but it seems more like she was a sequential bilingual learner. Wright (2015), defines sequential bilingualism as an individual who already speaks the language(s) of their home country but then start to learn English as new language at school (p.5).

    I also wanted to address the kind of school she attended. Being that the instructors at her school were bilingual, it seems that they valued her culture. Wright (2015) also addresses this topic in "Cultural Adjustment Issues." Being that their values were recognized and embraced within her school, it probably enhanced the quality of her education (p.19). Altogether, it probably made her process of learning English less complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Luz!
    It was so good to watch this interview with your friend Elizabeth. I am also bilingual and had similar experiences as Elizabeth and it's interesting to see how different individuals have dealt with this. You mention that Elizabeth had learned a lot of her English by interacting with her peers and teachers in school. According to Wright (2015), having Discourses in school contributes to a positive student-teacher interaction and that may have helped her to become more engaged in learning the English language (pg. 38). The support from family and friends is the greatest benefit to an English Language Learner.
    Yes, I couldn't agree more! We need more bilinguals in our country and I think it is so important to preserve our backgrounds but also adapt to learn a second language because we live in such a diverse city and country and it's important to hold on to those language skills we have! According to Wright (2015), some potential consequences of primary language loss include students having identity issues and having fewer job opportunities than they would have had, had they kept their native language (pg. 22). This is so important, we don't want students to lose who they are or where they came from, that is an important part of who they are. I feel like that was important to Elizabeth as well. She spoke English with her mom and siblings but she had to keep her native language to communicate with her father and that is so important.
    Great interview, really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farah,
      It is amazing that you were able to identify yourself with my video. I do find it very similar as well because different individuals learn differently and it seems like we have something in common. I agree I find it that surrounding yourself with either language will allow you to pick up on their words and structure of pronunciations. It is just outstanding to me that the way that you learn best is by the people that you are being surrounded by. I also believe that we need to help our students’ value and keep their native language without losing it “Encouraging ELLs to maintain and develop their home language while they develop proficiency in English benefits the individual ELLs” (Wright, 2015, pg. 23). Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  4. Hello Luz,

    Watching Elizabeth’s interview was very interesting to me! She was technically learning two languages at the same time, not one language was really dominating the other. I liked that her parents supported both the two languages, English and Spanish. I believe it is very beneficial to learn more than one language in America, not just English because this country is so diverse. “As students learn the new language, they gain knowledge about how to use the language in sociocultural contexts and construct their social identities through their participation in language-mediated activities” (Wright, pg. 58). I strongly agree that communication is the key to learning a new language because this helps them practice the language that they need to maintain.
    Thanks for sharing Luz!
    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Taylor,
      Thank you for taking your time to watch my video. Yes, I agree Elizabeth was dominating two languages at a time without noticing. I also would be confused if I was learning two languages under the same roof. My technique was different while growing up I would talk fully Spanish at home and English at school, with friends and teachers. Until my older siblings started to incorporate English around my parents. I would get confused and probably mix different words from both languages. I guess every individual learns differently than others. Even though, it was challenging I interact with Elizabeth and seems that she has master both languages perfectly. It is also beneficial at her job to be able to communicate in two languages and be able to help more individuals on the daily. Thank you, Taylor, for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. Hello Luz!

    I enjoyed your interview with you friend! I can only imagine how difficult it was for her to be learning two languages at once, like wright explained she is what is known as a sequential bilingual learner (Wright,pg5), where even though she grew up learning both , a majority of her learning was taught through schooling. Even though she was confused schooling helped her figure out english a little better than home. I LOVE the fact that her teacher was also bi-lingual and taught the class english without totally cancelling out the students other cultures.



    Great post Luz!

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kaila,
      Thank you for your amazing comment. I agree with you she is a sequential bilingual learner because she was not yet fluent in one language or the other they were both learned at the same time. I also think that Elizabeth falls in the additive bilingualism “occurs when a student develops proficiency in a new language without losing his or her home language” (Wright, 2015, pg. 21). Thank you, Kaila, for your time to watch my video.

      Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing

      Delete
  6. Hello Luz! Thank you for sharing your interview with your friend with us! It was interesting to hear her story. Elizabeth mentioned that she learned Spanish at home but learned English at school starting in first grade. I believe that this would categorize her learning as “simultaneous bilingualism” because she started learning her L2 at such a young age (Wright, 2015, pg. 5). It was interesting to hear that she was not put in a ESL class because of the very diverse nature of her school. Did she attend a school that had some sort of bilingual program that taught in both languages? That is interesting that all the classes in the school were taught in both English and Spanish! It was nice that she was able to speak English and Spanish. Wright (2015) states that maintaining ELL’s home language while they develop proficiency in English benefits the learner, their family and the community (pg. 23).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alyssa,
      Thank you for taking your time to watch my video. I agree with you as well I do consider her as a simultaneous bilingualism learner because she would speak two different languages under the same roof. She had to speak Spanish to her father and English to her older siblings and mother. She basically was learning two languages at once without dominating one another. It was a balance that I think many people that have different cultural backgrounds are able to naturally do. Elizabeth is considered to be part of the language minority students “ which covers all students in the United States who speak languages other than standard English” ( Wright, 2015, pg. 5). Thank you again, Alyssa, for your lovely comment.


      Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing

      Delete

Post a Comment